Prices and links updated in 2017.
GENEVA, Switzerland —
Here are a few suggestions for local (Geneva) and French bubbly for under CHF35. Add brownie points for the lovely drive (or TPG bus ride) through the Geneva campagne/countryside.
I haven’t tried many of the local sparkling wines so I look forward to your feedback if you venture with any of these.
- La Barjak, a mousseux from Domaine de la Printaniere, in Avully. (This same domaine used to make a spectacular blanc de blancs. CHF22.
- Cologny Brut, a sparkling wine from La Vigne Blanche in Cologny. This domaine offers free wine tasting as well.
- Genevoisie Chardonnay, a traditional blanc de blancs from Peissy. CHF22.
- Baron Auriol, a traditional blanc de blancs from the Domaine des Abeilles in Chouilly; CHF22.
- Blanc de Blancs from the Domaine des Charmes in Satigny. CHF26.
- Flûtes Enchantées from the Domaine Dugerdil in Dardagny. CHF22.
If you are planning a winter picnic, don’t forget the disposable champagne flutes from Denner (CHF2.50 for a pack of 6) or head to Caritas or Salvation Army and buy two champagne glass flutes (CHF2/each).
Of course there are plenty more sparkling non-alcoholic options: Remuss, Pellegrino, apple cider and the likes. Chin Chin!
Photo: Domaine des Charmes.