GENEVA, Switzerland – Good Friday, an official holiday in 24 out of 26 cantons in Switzerland (strangely not in two of the most Catholic, Valais and Ticino) is commemorated with markets, processions and Via Crucis. Then, on Monday, in addition to religious services a few good Easter egg hunts. Check it out.
Geneva: Good Friday farmers market, concerts, egg hunt and small fleamarket in Plainpalais and free classical music concert at HUG.
Romont: an impressive cortege of a cross bearer and 20 veiled women known as les pleureses de Romont or wailing women, take to the fourteen stations of the cross in the picturesque town’s center. (All photos here below taken by Laila Rodriguez)
The Way of the Cross in the town of Mendrisio is a must-do. The town is filled with “Trasparenti” or drawings made on transparent cloths from the 17th and 18th centuries, showing pictures of the passion of Christ, illuminated from within. Over 600 people participate in the processions and thousands gather up to see it. (All photos here below from www.processionimendrisio.ch).
Easter Egg Hunts around Lake Geneva
A selection of popular, near-by hunts. Find a complete list for Easter egg hunts in France and Suisse romande on Loisirs.ch)
- 26 March: Chateau d’Aigle, Vaud
- 26-28 March: Hameau du Père Noël, France
- 26-28 March: Annecy, France
- 27 March: Crown Plaza, Geneva (egg hunt for kids, brunch for parent$)
- 27 March: Ferme de Jussy, Geneva (open to restaurant patrons and their kids)
- 27-28 March: Chateau de Divonne, France
- 27 March: Chateau de Chillon, Vaud
- 27 March: Signal de Bougy, Vaud
- 27 March: Ouchy, Vaud (over 43K eggs available for grabs per CHF1/egg to raise funds for a good cause)
- 27 March: Ferney-Voltaire, France (pick up to 12 eggs, then hide the rest for other kids)
- 27 March: Fort l’Ecluse, France
- 28 March: Yatouland, Geneva
- 28 March: Neuchatel, over 4,000 eggs to be had!
- 3 April: Ethnography Museum, Geneva (bring a cooked egg, decorate it, win a contest and then hunt for eggs)
- 9 April: Webster University, Geneva (American-style)