GENEVA, Switzerland – November, end of fall, winter at our door. Fear not, a few (free) events are in store.
Dear readers, here’s this month’s selection of events for Geneva. I will not be posting a separate list of events for December. Instead, I have posted a few here, the Christmas markets list will be published separately, as well as more information on the Escalade and New Year’s festivities. As always, a few favorites are highlighted in blue.
- Art & Other Exhibits
- Concerts, Films and other Performing Arts
- Fairs, Lectures, Conventions, Special Events
- Food and Wine
- Sports/Fitness Activities
Art & Other Exhibits
- 3 Nov: Geneva Old Town Gallery Night – evening gallery hopping never looked so cool!
- 2 Nov-11 Dec: Murmures, As Far as the Eye Can See – and Further (free) at the Cité du Temps, Geneva
- 6 Nov, 4 Dec: Free entry to all temporary exhibits of the city of Geneva museums
- 12-13 Nov: Geneva modern art open doors
- 18 Nov-11 Dec: World Press Photo 16 – the best photojournalism (picked from more than 80,000 entries submitted by over 5,000 photojournalists), Prangins, canton Vaud
- Until 27 Nov: Prix Kiefer Hablitzel exhibit – plastic arts by artists under 30 years of age (free)
- Until 8 Jan: The World of Dinosaurs – a giant and rather laaarge exhibit at Palexpo, for the whole family!
- Until 15 Jan: 3,000 years without money, Egyptian-themed exhibit
- Until 19 Feb: Geneva vs Savoie through forts and knights (Châteaux forts et Chevaliers) at the Geneva Art and History Museum (review to come).
- Until Feb: Jewels of the Distant East, Gold Across the Seas at the Bauer Museum
- Until March: Those Swiss have made France
- 2 Nov: Zucchero in concert
- 3 Nov: Tribute, the Best of Pink Floyd, Annecy, France
- 3-27 Nov: Festival couleur café – Percussion from the Ivory Coast; Psycho soul from the UK; Soul Makossa from Cameroon; music from Mali and more!
- 5 Nov: Pisco bar, ceviche & Afro-Caribbean music
- 5 Nov: Free concerts as part of the Catch a Car – part of the launch of a new car share system in Geneva
- 11 Nov: J. Balvin (reggaeton) in concert, Zurich
- 10 Nov, 15 Dec: Classical music at the museum
- 13 Nov, 18 Dec, 22 Jan: Classical music, sopranos and organ concerts at the Victoria Hall
- 14 Nov: Maceo Parker, jazz concert, Geneva
- 20 Nov: Youssou N’Dour in concert, Geneva
- 23 Nov: Anoushka Shankar in concert
- 25 Nov: Jean-Michel Jarre in concert
- 6 Dec: Christmas concert: Fiesta Latina
Films and other (Performing) Arts
- 3 Nov: Power to Change, free eco film screening
- 4-6 Nov: Street Art Evening – Les Nuits du Street Art in Carouge: music, art, foodtrucks and dancing
- Until 5 Nov: Ba/Rock, baroque ballet at the Opéra des Nations in Geneva
- 4-12 Nov: Geneva International Film Festival Tous Ecrans – a TV, film, web festival
- 6 Nov-21 Dec: Puppet shows for kids & grownups; on Sundays and Wednesdays@ 11:00 & 16:00 at Théâtre de Gaspard, in the St Jean neighborhood (022 733 55 67)
- 9 Nov: Ciné Onu – Ghandi followed by a debate, free to get in, but if not a UN pass holder, you will need to get one
- 10-27 Nov: Les Créatives – music, theatre, dance and other performing arts festival
- 15-19 Nov: Theatre in English: Relative Values
- Until 18 Nov: Kenji Mizoguchi – retrospective of 17 films directed by the Japanese filmmaker
- 18 Nov- 4 Dec: Latin American film festival: Filmar en América Latina – a staple of the city, Spanish-language films w/subtitles in English and/or French. Don’t miss it!
- 19-29 Nov: Der Vampyr – an opera sung in German with English & French subtitles
- 2 Dec: Les Choristes, French musical at the Arena
- 2-4 Dec: Theatre in English: Puss in Boots
- 8 Dec: Renegade Saints improvised comedy show in English, 19:30 @ Pickwick’s
- 17 Dec: Ballet, The Nutcracker
- 18 Dec: Irish Celtic dance
Fairs, Lectures, Conventions and other Special Events
- 3-6 Nov: Artisans market in Grand-Saconnex, free
- 4-6 Nov: Giant English Library book sale
- 5 Nov: TedX at Institut Le Rosey, Rolle
- 6 Nov: Vintage trolley parade, Geneva – simply head to Rive and ride in any of the historic lines. CHF4 or CHF10 for an all day pass.
- 8 Nov: Geneva Peace Week – “70 years in the service of Peace and Justice – An Exhibition by the International Court of Justice” – Lecture, free. Registration required
- 8 Nov: US Elections Watch Party in Geneva
- 11-20 Nov: Les Automnales: vintage sales; cat & dog shows; Swiss army surplus sale, fortune tellers and more!
- 25 Nov: 2nd annual Geneva dance schools gala
- 9-11 Dec: L’Escalade – go back in time, simply head to Old Town where thousands of Genevois reenact that day in 1602 where the city stood against invaders – Do. Not. Miss. It.
Food and Drink
- 5 Nov: Wine festival in Peissy, Geneva
- 6 Nov: Lavaux guided walk and wine tasting
- 12 Nov: Colombian food festival in Lausanne
- 17-18 Nov: Barkavin – Geneva wine cruise presented by local vineyards and wine sellers
- 18-19 Nov: Champagne tasting at Beau-Rivage, Geneva
- 24 Nov: Wine tasting at the Mandarin Oriental
- 26 Nov: Geneva independent wine-makers festival
- Until 22 Dec: Thursday night market & music in Carouge from 14:00 to 21:00. Concerts from 17:00 to 20:00. At Place du Marché.
Sports/Fitness Activities & Other Outdoor Activities
- Nov-Dec: Geneva Hockey Team at home games including pre-Christmas game
- mid-Nov to March: Outdoor ice skating in Geneva, canton Vaud and neighboring France
- 5 Nov: Soap Box Derby, Grand-Saconnex, free
- 6 Nov: Escalade run training at the UN Geneva
- 2-3 Dec: L’Escalade races— thousands of runners, kids, pros and some in costumes take to the streets of Old Town, Geneva
- 2-3 Dec: Supercross motorbike Geneva
- 8-11 Dec: CHI Horse Jumping Competition
- 18 Dec: Christmas swimming cup by the English garden